Monday, February 20, 2012

Lights, Camera, Action!

Second Blooming


Step right up. Come one come all. This week’s spin is about the movies since the Oscars are this weekend. I always try to watch the Oscars but it doesn’t always pan out. This year Billy Crystal is hosting again and I. Love. Him. He rocks as a host so I will definitely do everything in my power to watch it. But back to my spin…I really love movies. I have always liked going to the movies and it seems like lately (in the past 5 years) I haven’t been able to go to the movies as frequently as I would like.


I started my working career at Sam Goody. We sold CDs and cassette tapes (hehe) but also had a vast assortment of movies. So I seemed to acquire a lot. And that is where I met the hubby. And he was a single guy making decent money so he seemed to acquire a lot as well. Well when we got married and moved into our house we had A LOT of movies. So many movies that we had a giant bookshelf plus two hip-high cabinets filled to the gills with movies and TV series on DVD. We also have a CD case full of kids movies. It’s actually quite ridiculous. So when we packed up most of our house in hopes of selling it this year we moved all those movies into my brother’s basement to keep while we figured out what was going on. And it made me reminisce about all the movies and what they meant to me (other than so much money spent…but that’s neither here nor there). So here is a quick recap of some of my favorites that I own:

Breakfast at Tiffany’s: I really just love this movie. Audrey Hepburn is amazing in all she does but she is just so beautiful in this one.

Casablanca: Again, I just love this movie. I’m not a huge old-time movie gal, but these two are just great and any time I hear someone say they haven’t seen them I tell them they are must-sees!

Legally Blonde (you see what I did there?!): I really like the theme of a girl doing her best and achieving what she sets her mind to. Also, Reese Witherspoon is great in pretty much everything. Another favorite with her is Sweet Home Alabama.

All the Harry Potters: I’m a Harry Potter nerd. I saw the first one with my mom opening night the day before we went on our family vacation in 2001. And I have loved them all since. The hubby and I even spent our anniversary date at the movies seeing the final Harry Potter in theaters.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The first one I saw in theaters on a date with my future hubby. I actually overslept and he had to call me to wake me up so we could make it. I’m glad he didn’t give up on me after that night! :) But I haven’t seen the last 2 in theaters but we have at least seen them all. And I actually enjoyed the fourth one that came out recently.

Mulan: This is my favorite Disney movie of all time. I like that fact that, again, a female is the champion. She does all she can to protect her family and keep their good name. Of course it backfires, but I can still sing along to all the songs in the movie! And Eddie Murphy as Mushu the dragon is hilarious.

So this is just a short sampling of the many movies that we have and love. Like I said in the beginning we don’t get to the movies near as often as we would like, and when we do it usually ends up being a kids movie but it is still always a nice time to take time and go. No matter the movie you get transported to a different place and/or time and it makes for a fun few hours where you don’t have to worry about anything. The next movie that I will for sure be seeing in theaters is the first movie in the Hunger Games trilogy. I am taking my friend for her birthday and I am so excited! It comes out March 23rd and I can’t wait! I hope it does the book justice!

So there you have it! Go see Gretchen and all the other spinners!

3 comments:

gretchen said...

Great list. So glad you included Breakfast at Tiffany's and Casablanca - such classics. I wasn't that into the Harry Potter movies until Jude came along, but watching them with him made me a true fan. We went and saw the last one together - loved it!

You are linked!!

Sprite's Keeper said...

John is just now making his way through the Harry Potter movies. He never got into it when I was rushing out to see each movie as it premiered, but now that Sprite adores all things Harry Potter (luckily, she gave me enough time to compile a costume so she can be Hermione this year), he watched the first one with her. Since we won't let her go further than that, as the movies do get darker, he is enjoying them on his own now. :-)

Michele R said...

I really need to see Breakfast at Tiffany's again--it has been years. I really enjoyed the Harry Potter movies with my boys--seeing them is such a tradition they will hopefully always remember.