Thursday, June 6, 2013

Little Boys

Things have been pretty cray-cray in the Fernandez household lately. Some good, some bad but definitely very busy. I've been trying to find ways to slow down and just live with the boys in my life without feeling totally overwhelmed on an everyday basis. I obviously do not always succeed but tonight was a good night and I wanted to share it.

I am heading to Kansas City tomorrow for a girl's weekend with my aunt and I am pretty stoked. BUT that means that I leave the boys with the hubby for the whole weekend. I've never done that. If I've been gone, he's been gone. Or it's only been for the day but not a weekend. So I kind of felt bad about that. Not bad enough to not go but I felt like I needed to do something. So I cleaned up the house for him. I'm not talking spick and span but definitely clean enough to notice. I won't lie, a little of it was for selfish reasons, such as the fact that I knew towels wouldn't get washed while I was gone and I like clean towels. So while it helps him it benefits me. Same with clean floors. We have wood floors so they get dusty pretty quickly. Had I not swept it wouldn't have been the end of the world but at least when I get home Sunday afternoon the floors will be cleaner than they would have been!
So, I needed to clean. But the boys needed dinner and I needed to pack and, and and. But Leo wanted to play with his new bouncy ball. And he really wanted to play with me. So I stopped what I was doing and played. And it felt good. It put him in a good mood because we were doing what he wanted and we were spending time together. After that he played Reading Eggs on the computer for a little bit and he wanted me to watch and so I did. And it felt good. Later, while Leo and the hubby were playing Lego Batman on the Xbox I was putting away laundry. The hubby had stepped away to do something and Leo wanted me to play with him. So I did. And it felt good.

So, really what it all boils down to is that I need to stop more and smell the roses so to say. Life is always going to be busy but I am not always going to be able to play with my babies. And they are not always going to want to play with me. I need to understand that on a regular basis. I need to make sure that I am taking time every day to spend that good, unplugged quality time with my boys.

No comments: