Friday, December 21, 2012
Tuesday, December 18, 2012
Random thoughts for a random Tuesday. Yep that about sums up my life right now…pretty darn random! Let’s go!
· Friday Jacoby had his second surgery in what we hope will cure his ongoing ear infections. He had the original tubes that were put in in June replaced and had his adenoids taken out. Needless to say the past four days were not fun. He is still really clingy and cries a lot. He also isn’t sleeping very well. And has more snot than I’ve ever seen (or so it feels like) coming out of his nose and mouth. So gross. But he went back to daycare today. The doctor said he could have gone back yesterday but as a mommy I didn’t feel like he should. So I kept him home one extra day and relished in his sweet skin and as many hugs and kisses as I could give. Poor little guy.
· When thinking about how much time I spent this weekend taking care of my little guy I realized how much I did not take care of myself. In the 4 days I was off work I showered twice. I at least brushed my teeth every day. Between keeping a house running and keeping a baby alive while not feeling well AND dealing with a rowdy 5 year old I had no time to think of my hygiene. It’s a little ridiculous. I admire all those stay at home moms who can get themselves ready every day. That would be the last thing I would feel needed to get done. I guess it’s good I’m forced to go to work so I don’t start to smell!
· On a much happier note my Redskins are at the top of their division for now with only 2 games left in the season. If they win out they will be going to the playoffs for the first time in 4 or 5 years. So excited!
· Only 1 week until Christmas! Woo hoo! All our presents are bought and wrapped. I am so ready for the Christmas festivities to begin. Our first engagement is Saturday with my in-laws. Then I have to work on Christmas Eve until 3 (barf) but after that I will take the boys to church and then we will spend Christmas eve and Christmas day together. I can’t wait.
· We did not put up our Christmas tree this year. We decided little fingers would get things that he didn’t need to get. While we explained this to Leo he seemed to care for about one second then went on his merry way. Well this did not sit well with my niece (4 years old) apparently. She came to visit Jacoby with my dad on Saturday and noticed we didn’t have a tree. She didn’t say anything to me, but the next day when her and her dad were out shopping for Operation Holiday stuff for his work he was explaining why they were there and how some people can’t afford Christmas so that’s what they were helping with. She then proceeded to tell him that they needed to buy us a tree because we couldn’t afford one. He tried to explain to her that we could and that there was probably a good reason we didn’t have it up she just wouldn’t let it go. Finally he just told her that that wasn’t what they were there for and to move along. The next day at school her class made ornaments and she made a Christmas tree and wanted to give it to us so we could put it up on the wall over our presents so we would have a tree. I thought that was the sweetest thing. All I did was tell her our tree was in the garage and she thought that was the funniest thing ever.
Enough random from me. Go visit Stacy and throw down your own random!
Monday, December 17, 2012
Sunday, December 16, 2012
Saturday, December 15, 2012
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
Monday, December 10, 2012
Sunday, December 9, 2012
Saturday, December 8, 2012
Friday, December 7, 2012
Thursday, December 6, 2012
Tuesday, December 4, 2012
Monday, December 3, 2012
Sunday, December 2, 2012
|No, not the body...wait yes the body and the kettle bell!|
|An RGIII jersey.|
|A hand mixer. Mine was broken in the infamous hand mixing incident of 2012|
|A new scale|
|Ok, this wasn't really on my list but I would love some giant earrings!|
|Ok, not a clock...just more time!|
1 2 3 4 5 6
Saturday, December 1, 2012
Friday, November 30, 2012
Well I do since I move him every night but...like Leo tells me it's nothing you need to worry about! :)
Anyways...my favorite pose so far has been him playing cards with his buds. So every day he's here in December I'll document the shenanigans he's been up to. It will also help me remember next year what to do with him! So here we go!
Thursday, November 29, 2012
Wednesday, November 28, 2012
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
Monday, November 26, 2012
This is my little sick monster at the ENT today!
Sunday, November 25, 2012
Saturday, November 24, 2012
Friday, November 23, 2012
Thursday, November 22, 2012
As I've been sitting at home by myself with a sick baby today, except for a short time in the middle of the day (thanks mom for bringing me food!) I've been thinking about who I'm thankful for. I've already told you I'm thankful for the family I live with and even though I left those pretty short and sweet I'm supremely grateful for them. But I am close with my immediate family as well so today that is who I'm thankful for...
I'm thankful for my mom. Even though she didn't feel well today too, she came over and brought me food from the Thanksgiving dinner that I missed and hung out with me for almost 2 hours. She knew I'd be lonely and bored spending my holiday with no adult interaction (the hubby went ahead and took Leo to his family celebration). And while it's not out of the ordinary for her to do something like that I am so grateful for it. She does so much and I feel like I will never be able to repay what she means to me.
I'm thankful for my dad. He will (and does) do pretty much anything I need him to do (within reason). He helps take Leo to school a few days a week so we don't have to pay so much in before school care and he used to pick him up from the daycare and just hang with Leo one evening a week. Just the special bond he has with Leo is so awesome to see. It is amazing to see the love and admiration Leo has for his grampy! :)
I'm thankful for my brother. He and I were not terribly close as kids but as we've both grown and he moved back to our hometown and settled down we have become closer. Obviously I'm a family girl so we're not nearly as close as I'd like to be but it's nice that we see each other quite a bit and do things together. I was especially thankful when he thought to invite Leo and I to the movies with his family last night. It wasn't something he had to do, but it was nice that he included us.
I'm thankful for my sister-in-law. When my brother first brought Amy home I knew she was the one. And even though there were ups and downs I am so thankful that she has stuck around! :) She is awesome in the fact that she always thinks of the little things for the kiddos around the holidays and always has fun things for them. And she is an awesome baker. She also gives me something to strive for because she is pretty much superwoman/supermom. So I'm thankful she is in our lives because I have someone to keep me on track! Haha.
And I'm thankful for my aunt Davi and uncle Bob. While they're not technically immediate family they are my Godparents so I'm going to count them. They always are there when needed. And Davi is my walking partner (even though I've been slacking lately!). I'm so grateful that they have stayed a major part of my life and become a part of Leo and Jacoby's lives. And they're the ones that talked me into sending Leo to the Catholic school and so I'm definitely grateful for that!
As you can see I have a LOT of people to be thankful for and so instead of wallowing today I'm wishing you all a happy Thanksgiving and hope you have as much to be thankful for as I do!
Wednesday, November 21, 2012
Tuesday, November 20, 2012
Monday, November 19, 2012
Sunday, November 18, 2012
Saturday, November 17, 2012
Friday, November 16, 2012
Thursday, November 15, 2012
Wednesday, November 14, 2012
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Monday, November 12, 2012
Also, so I don't sound completely selfish-I'm thankful for all the Veterans who have given their sacrifice to our country so I can write this silly blog without the fear of anything. So thank you.
Sunday, November 11, 2012
Saturday, November 10, 2012
Friday, November 9, 2012
Thursday, November 8, 2012
Wednesday, November 7, 2012
This year has been a rough year. We’ve had a lot of people close to us pass away in our family and it’s nice that Gretchen (http://secondblooming.typepad.com/second-blooming/2012/11/in-memoriam.html) is giving us an outlet to memorialize them. So here is my In memoriam…
My aunt Karen:
I’ve posted twice about her since she’s passed and even just last week I thought about her and how it’s so strange that she is no longer with us. We weren’t terribly close but close enough that the hole in my heart hasn’t quite healed. She showed perseverance in the last 4 years of her life. She wasn’t supposed to make it that long but she chose to ignore the doctors and do her own thing. In that time she sparked a fire in our family to push through and live your life to the fullest.
My BFF’s mom Janara:
I hadn’t seen Janara in probably 3 years but I have a lot of memories of her. I’ve known her daughter, Camdin, since I was in the second grade and we’ve been best friends since. Even though Camdin and I have drifted in the past few years we still seem to make time for each other when she comes back to town. And in the past few years I’ve tried to be a better friend and I’m vowing to continue to try to be better. I sat in the hospital with Camdin while her mom was in ICU and it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. It was so important for me to be there for her and even though I didn’t know exactly what was needed, wanted to make myself available to her. Unfortunately we had to say goodbye to her mom and with that came a lot of tears. Since Camdin has gone back home I still don’t always have the right words to say to her but I love her so much and hope she knows that.
And last but not least my little dog Freckles:
I got Freckles when she was a wee, little puppy and I was an almost 8th grader. She made multiple moves with me from my first house to my first college apartment to the next and then to my final house where we live now. She loved chocolate ice cream and French fries. She also loved to sleep between my legs on the bed. Unfortunately my time with her got much smaller after I had babies and then when we were trying to sell our house and then after I had Jacoby she lived with my parents. I always showed her love when we were around her and she was always wagging her tail at the door when she saw me. It was a very sad time when she passed but she lived a good, long (15 years) life and I’m glad she was a part of mine.
Tuesday, November 6, 2012
Monday, November 5, 2012
Fall. Autumn. Whatever you want to call it, it is upon us. It is absolutely my favorite season EVER. And there is so much to like about it. Not only do we get Halloween and Thanksgiving you can mix in the beginning of Christmas too. Love! Here are just a few things I am loving about fall right now!
|Any and all things pumpkin. Yum!|
|Woot woot! It's RGIII. Aka the savior of the Washington Redskins. I'm just stoked we've won some games this year. And hopefully we'll win a few more before the season is over.|
|Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Basketball season has started.|
|This outfit right here?! So stinking cute. I love fall becuase you can wear cute clothes but not have to have a ridiculously huge coat over all the cuteness. I seriously want this whole outfit.|
|Now that I get to wear real clothes to work I love to see what people can come up with. And this dress right here, with the tights? So cute.|
Sunday, November 4, 2012
Today I am thankful for my church. I don't go religiously (haha-get it) but I love that I can go and just be. I also don't believe everything they say but I feel like it's good for me to go and get the message put out and do with it what I can.
Saturday, November 3, 2012
1) My hubby. Even though sometimes he drives me batty I'm so thankful for him.
2) Leo. He is the most ridiculous little boy in the entire world. He makes me laugh. He makes me cry but I love him so stinking much.
3) Jacoby. He is teaching me patience. Again. Things in life really change when a baby is thrown in the mix. No matter how much you think you know what you're doing a new baby will just let you know you're wrong!
Friday, November 2, 2012
Thursday, November 1, 2012
Halloween started last Friday when we got to go to a trunk or treat at my cousins school in Kansas City. It was so much fun and it gave me a dry run to do the boys makeup.
Then the real deal Holyfield was last night. Fun was had by all even though Jacoby didn't get to eat any candy!
Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Last week I only worked 2 1/2 days and it was amazing. I'm pretty sure I would be a great stay at home mom. Other than all the yelling that took place. And the traveling to KC because we wouldn't have the funds. But other than that it would be amazing! ;)
I accompanied Leo's class to his field trip to the pumpking patch last Wednesday and it was a lot of fun. I got to meet other parents of kids in the class (that I never hear about because Leo refuses to "remember" what happens during the day). Unfortunately I got another little boy whose parents could not attend the field trip under my care. Have I mentioned before how rowdy/rambunctious Leo is? Well his friend Robbie was the exact same. So my life X2. It was cray-cray (in my best Khloe Kardashian voice) THey were both really well behaved so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Just a wild time!
My mom and I took Friday off last week and took Leo, Jacoby and my niece to Kansas City to visit my aunt and uncle and their two kids. It was fun. I was hoping for relaxing but I forget that nothing is relaxing when you throw in 4 kids under the age of 7 and one tween. Definitely not relaxing. Aw well. It was nice to see family!
Also on my hiatus from work last week I went to ol' Wal-Mart. I figured I needed a pair of jeans and what better place to look for a quick fix than there. I had both boys but thought we could get in and out of the dressing room in a hurry. I grabbed a pair of 8s and a pair of 10s (!!) and ran in with the boys. I tried the 8s first just to make me feel good. I thought I grabbed both of the same kind just in different sizes. Lo and behold I had accidentally grabbed a pair of skinny jeans. The dreaded skinny jeans that I have always tried to avoid. I got them to my thighs when I heard Leo tell me they were too small and that they did. not. fit. How sweet of him to point out the obvious! I was still stoked that the 10s fit and I got a pair of jeans that look nice for $14. Not too shabby!
I am in full-on get ready for Christmas mode. I have started creating Leo's Christmas list and the hubby and I have come up with a few things to tell my parents and for the drawing for his side of the family (too many people to buy for). I also have asked for lists from the hubby's sister for her kids. I have money saved and I'm ready to spend it!
Okie dokie. That's all for now. Hope everyone on the east coast survives the dreaded Frankenstorm! We're doing fine in old Kansas. We're even supposed to have temps in the 70s for trick or treating on Wednesday. Woo hoo!
Wednesday, October 24, 2012
It has an elevator and a zip line and and and. But you know what? It costs $140. Let me let that sink in. $140 for a toy. Not even a toy that he can ride on. So when he saw this and all of the million other toys that are out of our budget I feel terrible. When I showed him the price and explained that if this is something that he really, really wanted that maybe we could put this on the list but he would not be getting much else. And you know what he told me? He told me that gifts from Santa don't cost anything. I honestly didn't have an answer for him. Because Santa builds all of their toys. It shouldn't cost them any money. So how do I not burst his Santa bubble already but try to explain that Santa maybe does have a budget. I did tell him that because Santa buys for all the little boys and girls that he has a limit on what he can do for each kid. But I don't think it really sank in. But I know that he won't be getting that for Christmas.
And while I'm not trying to be a Scrooge here it really makes me angry at how expensive toys are. I balked at paying $40 for a Transformers Autobot Rescue Station last year. I thought that was pricy. But $140? That's just absurd. I know that he would play with it for a few years but at some point he would outgrow it and that seems like a lot of money for a toy. And don't get me started on Legos. $80 for a building set that builds ONE thing. Here let me build this one time and put it on my shelf. Boom! $80 gone. Spent on 2 hours of building. It's really hard for kids to understand why they can't get something and at 5 it's a concept they just hear as NO. Or mommy and daddy can't afford this which equates into we have no money. Which is not true. Just not the kind of money to be spending on a single toy. And I don't want Leo to be greedy so I'm not going to keep pushing the well on the amount of money I can spend on that monstrosity you could easily get 7 toys! More=better right?! So I don't want to go that route. I like to try to get him to remember the real reason for the season but again a 5 year olds brain process is not there quite yet.
Ok...enough of me rambling. I just wanted to get that off my chest. Bah humbug! :)
Wednesday, October 17, 2012
Sunday, October 14, 2012
Thursday, October 11, 2012
I got this from Vandy (http://tttandme.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-three-several-of-them.html) who got it from Jill and so on and so forth…let’s play!
Top 3 movies
· Breakfast at Tiffany’s
· Love Actually
· Collateral Damage
There are so many movies that I love and so this was really tough. Buuuut…these are probably top 3 but I’m sure some others sneak in there. The top two are obvious but the third is a little more difficult to explain. I’m not sure what it is but for reals Arnold Schwarzenegger is probably one of my favorite actors. It’s my dirty little secret. But I LOVE his movies. And this is my favorite!
Top 3 actors
· Johnny Depp
· Arnold Schwarzenegger
· Bruce Willis
Johnny Depp needs no explanation. He’s a gorgeous piece of man. He’s number one on my celebrity list. You know the one I’m talking about. Then the next two are just people who make good movies. See above about Arnold. As for Bruce I love the Die Hard movies…they’re making a 5th if you haven’t heard. And he’s pretty good looking I think too!
Top 3 actresses
· Sandra Bullock
· Reese Witherspoon
· Julia Roberts
All three of these ladies are just great actresses and I pretty much love every movie they’ve been in. My favorites…Sandra (2 Weeks Notice) Reese (Sweet Home Alabama and Legally Blonde) Julia Roberts (Notting Hill)
Top 3 country singers
· Phil Vassar
· Kenny Chesney
· Brad Paisley
Country music is ok. It’s definitely not my favorite genre but I do like it. Leo has become a die-hard country fan because of his grandpa so he always asks me to play it. So I oblige every once in a while. Phil Vassar is more of a songwriter but he came to concert with Kenny Chesney a long time ago and I saw them and the show was great. So I’ve gotten a few of his albums and they are good. And Kenny is just Kenny. His music is great and his stage presence was so fun. I like Brad Paisley and his music. I like that he makes country funny. Like he knows that people make fun of country music so he makes songs to play on that. Some of those songs are so dumb though that I have to change the channel (like the song about checking for ticks. Yuck!)
Top 3 TV shows
· The New Girl
I love watching TV. Lately it doesn’t seem like I have as much time and the time I do have isn’t spent watching TV. But these 3 shows are can’t-misses. I watch Bones and Psych religiously. Last year Bones was a little odd with Brennan being pregnant and all but this year it’s been a lot better. Psych is awesome and hilarious and I’m so sad season 7 doesn’t start until January (I think). The New Girl is very funny. I don’t watch it weekly, I catch up on Hulu when I can. But so funny. And I usually watch it while I’m at lunch in the cafeteria and so I have to turn my back to the other people so they don’t think I’m crazy when I start cracking up. Which is always.
Top 3 travel destinations
· Los Angeles
· Caribbean cruise
The hubby and I are planning a 10 year anniversary trip in 2 years. Because of that we were trying to come up with somewhere to go. He mentioned Seattle, I didn’t really know much about what we could do there so I researched it. And I decided that it is a must-do. So I am lobbying hard that that is where we pick. There is just so much to do there. And even if we go for a week (which is what we are planning for) I still don’t think we’ll get to see everything! Los Angeles is a place I want to go because the hubby used to go there every summer and he loves it. So I want to go somewhere he loves. Plus Disneyland is there and I’ve never been. So yeah. And the Caribbean cruise…I’ve been on one before and it’s AWESOME and I want to go back. I don’t really care about specific ports. I just want the sun and the sand!
Top 3 books
· Harry Potter series
· Hunger Game series
· To Kill a Mockingbird
I read To Kill a Mockingbird when I was in 6th grade and it had a profound effect on me. Growing up very sheltered I didn’t realize there were those types of people out there. Obviously I knew that it was written in a different time period but just seeing how a whole other group of people lived was enlightening. I have read that book so many times and each time it’s like I find something new to think about. Just a really good read. The other two are series and they are amazing. So if you haven’t read them you’ve either been living under a rock or don’t enjoy keeping up with the Joneses!
Top three curse words:
Those are the PG versions of the words that slip out in times of stress or pain. I can talk with the best of the sailors out there. But seriously…children has limited the words I use. At least I try.
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
It all started on this cold and blustery morning. Haha just kidding. I went to my weigh-in today and I was shy of my goal by 2 ounces. Yep. That's right, 2 ounces. So the lady says to take off my pearls and my ring. I look at her like she's crazy and she says yep. So I do. And I'm still not quite there. She says, 'you're wearing a sweater. That has to weigh at least one pound. You can close the door and I won't look and you'll hit you're goal.' I again look at her like she's crazy and she told me she took hers of yesterday and that someone else took off their pants. Now I'm not sure what kind of meeting their having but seriously...I wanted my $72 back. So off came my sweater. And by golly that sweater really did weigh one pound. Because in my magical book that gives me my weight and says I can get my $72 back said I was down 2.2 pounds.
So...after my 16 weeks of struggling and successes I dropped 10.8 pounds. I am going to do another 16 week session and my new goal is 4.4 pounds. That will put me at 132 which will be the top of my height/weight chart but my doctor said my weight is good where it's at. If I can hit that goal and then keep it there for 6 weeks I will be considered a "lifetime" member and won't have to pay anymore. Woo hoo! So yeah...I can check off take my shirt off at work off my bucket list. Take that corporate america.
Tuesday, October 9, 2012
- Today I am home from work with a semi-sick 5 year old. Leo took his first sick day (and only I don't feel good without any real symptoms that mom will let him get away with) from Kindergarten. Last night he came in from playing outside and went to his room to play for a bit. He came out while we were making dinner and said he didn't feel well and would like to not eat dinner. I told him that was fine but to switch to jammies and lay down in our room to watch TV. I checked on him in his room and he was drenched in sweat and said he felt dizzy. I helped him get in jammies and had him lay down. By the time I got him Sprite and crackers he was asleep. When he woke up this morning he wasn't running a fever but said his head hurt. With all the changes in temps I don't know if it's allergies or a bug. I kept him home to be on the safe side and he's been fine today. Except he keeps telling me his head still hurts and his tummy hurts. Who knows. He doesn't usually complain of ailments so I don't feel too bad keeping him home.
- I was also off yesterday thanks to ol' Christopher Columbus. I had a pretty nice, relaxing day. We took Leo to McDonalds for breakfast and actually dropped him off at school instead of him going to Latchkey. Then we went up to the school for lunch to eat with him. He was so excited. After that I started to get all of his and Jacoby's clothes better organized. I went in and put all the 0-12 months clothes in 1 tote, 18 months in another and the same with 2T, 3T, 4T and 5T. Then took the baby, and 3T-5T clothes to storage. I wanted to make sure that I didn't forget I had certain clothes, buy them and then find the old ones later. I feel much better now!
- Jacoby turns 1 in 8 days! Yikes! He is getting baptized on Sunday and then after we are having a birthday/baptism party for him. I have planned nothing. And you know what...he's not going to care. After mass there is a breakfast at the church and I am going to have everyone who comes (just a few family members) eat at the breakfast and then head back to my parents to open presents. I am going to make some ice cream cone cupcakes. I'm pretty excited!
- Tomorrow is my final weigh in for Weight Watchers this 16 weeks. The last time I weighed in I was 1.6 pounds away from my goal. I'm not sure where I'll be tomorrow. Hopefully at my goal so I can get my 50% reimbursement!
- I have been slacking on Spin Cycles. And there have been so many good subjects. I told Gretchen that I would have to do a week of all spins and I wasn't kidding. Now I just need to find the time to write them.