Wednesday, December 17, 2008

who am I?

That is a question that I have been thinking about today. I thought about this because I was thinking of my old roommate. I just talked to him last night and we chatted (via texting) for a little bit. It made me think about our year and a half living together. Having one other roommate which worked out fabulously, from the birthdays to the dinners to the movie nights, to having an additional roommate who did not work out well because he was a d-bag and because he was a thief (allegedly). I sure do miss that guy (the original roomie, not the thief!). I wish that he would move back here, but then again, even if he moved back here would I see him that often? How much do I even see my brother, who lives about a mile and a half away? Not often enough, that is for sure!

Anywho...back to my original thought. Who am I? When I was 18 and had moved out I was a drinker. And I stayed up late and worked a retail job at an awesome music store. Loved my roomies, loved my job and loved my life. Then I started dating my hubby. He moved in and roomie moved out (because his job transferred him to AZ, not because of the hubby!). Still drank, not as much though because classes were harder and didn't really have anybody to drink with anymore! Started working at a different job but still loved my life. We went to concerts, went out to movies, to dinner. It was great! Now, I work at a job I really like, definitely don't drink anymore (maybe 1 or 2 times a year!) and now we don't even go to the movies or out to dinner or to concerts. Even though I really like where I am at right now, minus a few small debts, I mean details! :) I want my hubby to want to take me out to dinner and a movie. I don't want to come home from work and then still have to "work" all evening. I would love love love to really just have the hubby that I first started dating! I want the spark back and can't figure out how to get it there. That's pretty sad considering we've only been married for 4 1/2 years.

Any help would be appreciated! Give me some feedback. How do you keep the spark there (or if not the spark, at least the significant other wanting to do nice things for you!)

And I do want to make clear that he does do nice things for me, but they include cutting the crust off of my pumpkin pie (i hate the crust!) and scraping my windows! I'm sure there are other things, but I can't think of anymore right now!

1 comment:

CC said...

ok, this is advice coming from your non-married and not-in-a-relationship friend, so take it at face value.

it sounds as if you guys have just become complacent. what's stopping you from going out? maybe he doesn't realize you actually want to do that stuff?

my advice is try telling him you're bored. tell him you miss how much fun you guys used to have. chances are, he'll agree.

don't wait for him to make the effort because it seems like he won't for whatever reason. YOU make the effort and maybe he'll start to follow suit..

i have a few married friends who are tight on money and yet they still manage to have a blast. just the other night, the blew up the air mattress and watched Christmas movies and then slept in the living room leaving the Christmas tree lights on for effect. she said it was so simple, and yet they had so much fun! or they go for walks together and just talk, or window shop in an expensive part of town and just dream about the life they want.

i also think you should try and do stuff together with your couple friends. group things are always fun!

good luck! :)