Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Books make you smart

I don't know where I've really had the time to read so much but I have read 5 books since the new year. I have re-read the last 2 Harry Potter Books, Jen Lancaster's Such a Pretty Fat and the first two books in the Percy Jackson series. I will give you a brief review of each of these other than the Harry Potter because you all know how I feel about those!

Such a Pretty Fat: This book was freaking hilarious. Jen Lancaster put a spin on dieting that we can all relate to. Her turning point to make her want to diet was because she didn't feel like she could be more than 2 of these three things: a renter, 40 and fat. Since only 2 of those things she could actually control, she decided to control what went into her mouth. Her funny, biting memoir puts a good spin on how you can change your life with only 1 thing to do. The point I found most funny/sad was when I realized I was reading a dieting book while I was stuffing my face with peanut butter cups. Oh well! If you haven't read any of her books you should definitely run out and get them and devour them! Seriously...stop reading this and go get them!

As for the Percy Jackson books: They are about a young boy who finds out he is the son of Poseidon and has to help save the Greek gods. These are in fact young adults books but I chose to read them because I have heard a lot of good things about them. The storyline is well thought out and I think any book that wants to teach kids about more than vampires and true love is a good read! I also like the characters. They have heroic destinies yet they all have their flaws. We even read out one of the character's "fatal flaws" as she listens to the siren song. I hope the last three books will give me a great read as well!

That is all for now...after I finish the last three books I will try to give you more reviews. And after that I am revving up to read Revolutionary Road. Recommended by Stephen King in the year-end for Entertainment Weekly. Then I figure I would watch the movie! Books are always better than the movies. They leave more to the imagination! Also...I tried to post this blog (of course worded differently) by using the post options and it never showed up...if someone knows what I am doing wrong let me know. And if there end up being 2 similar posts I'll try to delete one.

No comments: