Saturday, August 20, 2011

Spin Cycle: Plz dnt make me hurt u

Ah the power of language. And what you can do with it. I am not a linguistic but I was a communication major. And in those few years (and many thousand dollars later) I learned a few things. And that is that I am an editor at heart and people who don't use grammar/spelling correctly annoy me. I notice little errors in newspapers, magazines, books and of course blogs and social networking. I'm not one of those people though that point it out but every time I see an error I cringe a little bit. But the two things I hate the most are when people use abbreviations in texts and tweets and when companies don't spell things correctly or are grammatically incorrect.

I have several people who text me on a regular basis and use the silly little abbreviations like LOL and R U...and it drives me crazy. I never say anything to them but hot cheese it drives me crazy! And of course the tweets from companies is just a no-brainer. They are putting their products or stories out there for the whole world to see on Twitter. Don't you think it would make sense to have someLinkone proof-read what they are putting out there so hacks like me don't blog about it later! They definitely should!

That's what I have for language today. I probably should have blogged about my sailor Kendra who uses language that would make even the roughest of the rough blush but that's a story for a different day! Go see Jen and the other spinners to see how they can spin their words into gold.

7 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

I am fully behind any proposal to ban further use of the word "lol". Wait, is that even a word? Gah, I hope not. Keep that red pen waving, Kendra, some day, the true words will triumph!
You're linked!

RedWriter said...

I am the complete opposite of a LOLer, I use punctuation in my text messages and I think people find that equally as annoying ha ha. :) xx

Camille said...

I'm the same way—I never use those abbreviations and it grates on my nerves when people do. David Foster Wallace would call us SNOOTs, and he'd be right (excellent article, by the way—you should look it up!).

Thanks for sharing!

VandyJ said...

I don't really like the abbreviations that have become so common with the texting revolution. They just annoy me.

Anonymous said...

I have to laugh at this because I do the same thing. I mentally edit things I'm reading and try my best not to correct it. It is all I can do sometimes when speaking with people not to correct them! I literally have to bite my tongue sometimes to keep from correcting them.

Anonymous said...

I have to laugh at this because I do the same thing. I mentally edit things I'm reading and try my best not to correct it. It is all I can do sometimes when speaking with people not to correct them! I literally have to bite my tongue sometimes to keep from correcting them.

Cajoh said...

In the 80s' I used to abbreviate by eliminating vowels from words. I wonder if that technique was adopted by the tweeter community.

Nice Spin,