Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pushing out a spin

With spring springing Gretchen chose birth as our spin topic this week.  I feel I have some experience in that department.  And while everyone has their story I'll share both of mine here.  For the faint of heart (or people who just don't care to read about birth) please do not continue!

Leo joined our family a week earlier than expected.  I went to my weekly doctor's appointment on February 22nd 2007.  It was a Thursday.  After my appointment where I was checked to see if I was dilated the hubby and I went on our usual trip to Taco Bueno.  It was a little ritual we had before or after each appointment.  So I stopped by the bathroom and I was bleeding.  The doctor said this could happen but still I was surprised.  I had already lost my plug and was dilated and having the Braxton Hicks contractions so I was semi-prepared.  I went home that day and the contractions kept coming.  So that night I was too amped up to sleep.  The contractions continued and they seemed to be about 5 minutes apart.  I took a shower and got completely ready because I knew pictures would happen and I wanted to be prepared (haha!).  I finally woke the hubby up and said let's go. We got to the hospital and they hooked me up to the machines and started measuring the contractions.  Yep they were 5 minutes apart but bad news...I was still only dilated to a 3.  Not close enough to keep.  They told me to walk the halls of the labor and delivery for an hour and if I hadn't progressed home I went.  So we walked and walked and walked some more.  Finally the hour was up and I hadn't progressed.  So home we went.  The hubby stopped by the bank and we made our final car payment for my car (yippee!!) and then at Spangles to get me some french toast sticks.  Finally we got home.  He had to be at work since it wasn't baby time and he needed to save as many days as he could.  My boss told me to go ahead and stay home.  So all day I tried to rest but the contractions continued.  Until finally around 9 that night I felt wet.  And so I called the on call nurse and she said to stick on a pad and if it was soaked in an hour then my water broke and to go back to the hospital.  So I waited an hour.  And it wasn't.  But the contractions were getting WAY worse.  And so finally the hubby made the decision to go back.  I was hemming and hawing because i didn't want to get sent away again.  But we went.  And it was pouring rain. They tested me and said yes my water had broke so it was baby time. We called my parents and let them know and so they came up around midnight.    And I was a beast.  I FINALLY got my epidural after what seemed like forever and they put me in my own room.  (on a side note my mom said I was a lot nicer after my epidural, but I still think I was pretty good the whole time!)  By this time it's around 2 in the morning and I'm still not dilating so they put me on the lovely pitocin.  This parts the boring part so I'll skip to the end...about 9 hours later it's time to push and I do for what seemed like forever and out came Leo in all his baby glory!  After about 36 hours in labor my sweet little baby boy was born.  And then they whisked him away to the NICU for 3 days before letting us go for an unknown fever and the rest is history!

My whole pregnancy with Jacoby was different so I shouldn't be surprised now how different my boys really are but the birthing part was much easier this go around!  Again I had gone to my weekly doctor's appointment but this one had been on a Wednesday I think.  I was already dilated to a 3 and had been for about a week.  We were supposed to be going to Dodge City that weekend to visit the inlaws.  My doctor told me that really wasn't advisable so the boys went and I stayed home.  And all weekend I hung out in my bed and relaxed.  I had contractions all weekend but had been having them off and all all the previous week so I wasn't too concerned.  The boys got home Sunday afternoon and the contractions were continuing.  I had my parents on standby so they could watch Leo if we had to jet to the hospital.  And of course overnight my contractions woke me up and I knew it was time.  Well I thought it was time anyways.  I was talking with the hubby and was trying to decide if I should go and he could just come up a little later in the morning so he could let Leo sleep and then take him to daycare.  We decided that this was probably the real deal and called my parents and off we went.  We got to the hospital and my contractions were really close.  Like 2-3 minutes apart but I was still only dilated to a 3.  The resident kept coming in to check me and told me that they might not keep me and I about flipped.  Because seriously?!  2-3 minutes apart and you're going to tell me to go home? I don't think so!  Luckily my doctor is awesome and said that I could stay and that they would just break my water and induce me.  So they did that (which is so strange.  Like you just feel like a big bag of water was dumped on your nether-regions.  Or you peed yourself.  One of the two)  And started filling me with pitocin.  I progressed really quickly this time and within hours it was time to push.  But then my doctor was on her way and so they told me to not push anymore.  Again, I was like seriously?! I don't care if my doctor's here.  Just get this baby outta me!!  But I was able to wait and the doctor got there and out slid Jacoby.  Although we didn't have a name yet for him.  We just kind of looked at him for awhile and the hubby let me have my way and that's how we ended up there.  So Jacoby arrived in less than 9 hours and 3 weeks early.  A much easier process.  Which makes it easier to think about another.  But that's neither here nor there!

So there you have it.  The story of how my baby boys joined this crazy place we call life.  Sorry if it was too graphic.  It's actually kind of nice to have it down now so that way I can always remember it.  And maybe use it as leverage when I'm old and trying to win an argument.  I can picture it now...Leo is trying to tell me how mean I am and I say...I labored for 36 hours with you.  You better be nice to me!

Alright.  Now go see other spins about birth with Gretchen! 


gretchen said...

I just LOVE the things people do while they're in LABOR - like make a car payment! Or go get french toast! Hysterical!

You are linked!!

VandyJ said...

Both my boys decided that arriving two weeks early was the way to go. They at least saved me from having to be induced.

Patty O. said...

Wow, what stories! Great spin!

CaJoh said...

Like seriously... that's a great spin!!!

Peg said...

So now after reading your spin I'm disappointed that I didn't think of "Delivering a Spin"! Dang!

Loved your stories! My first one was like 3 days so I SO feel for you!

Nadine Hightower said...

I shopped. and watch john wayne movies while in labor!
Had I had a boy his name would have been John Wayne.

Jessica said...

The first time I was in labor we went out to a buffet. I mostly ate cherry jello. LOL. I was also at a three and they really should have sent me home - but I begged to stay...looking back I sure wish I'd have listened to them and spent that LOOOOONG night and WHOLE next day laboring at my own house. Great birth stories, Kendra!