Monday, April 23, 2012

Spin Cycle: Compliments

http://www.secondblooming.typepad.com/" _mce_href="http://www.secondblooming.typepad.com/" target="_blank">http://secondblooming.typepad.com/spincyclekeelyresize.jpg /" _mce_src="http://secondblooming.typepad.com/spincyclekeelyresize.jpg /" alt="Second Blooming">



Compliments...hmmm.  There is a lot of ways I can go with this.  Gretchen gave some great ideas in her layout for us and I'm going to take a few from her.

I am very, very uncomfortable when people give me compliments.  I never know how to be gracious when people say something nice to me.  Not that people are constantly complimenting me, but especially when I was losing weight people were saying things to me and I was just always embarassed. 

But on the flip-side of that I have no problem giving people compliments.  And I don't give them freely but if I see something I like on someone, or if they've changed something and I like it then I tell them. 

Finally...I give compliments to Leo all the time.  As a kid I don't think that you should hold things back if you think they're doing something good.  I'm sure I tell him things way more frequently than I need to but if he does something that I appreciate I'm going to tell him.  I am not one of those parents that think if you give your kids too many compliments then it will make them feel entitled.  But I also don't give just willy-nilly compliments.  Like, Leo your hair looks so nice today.  No, not so much.  If he picks up his toys without me asking, or if he draws a nice picture then I'm going to say something.

So there you have it.  My take on compliments. Go see Gretchen and the other spinners and compliment them on their lovely writing!

3 comments:

VandyJ said...

I agree, giving willy nilly compliments sort of defeats the purpose of a compliment. I try to comment on the good things the boys do, but not on just any old thing.

gretchen said...

I agree as well. I'm pretty free with compliments with Jude, but I try to be realistic. I don't want him to have an unrealistic view of the world or himself. Sounds like you're doing a great job mothering!

And...you are linked!

Megan said...

Such a great post! It can be so hard to accept comments graciously, but we really should!