Monday, July 18, 2011

My Sweet Peo

My baby boy. The one who loves to do almost everything. Was crying because he didn't want to go to school. Full-on tears. Well first came the "I'm sick." He's 4 people. I had no idea it started this early. When I asked why he was sick he told me he had a head ache and he throwed up and he had the hiccups. A lot of ailments for a little boy! I told him that he hadn't thrown up and that hiccups weren't an illness. Then the tears started coming. The soft tears. Not the mean, angry tears that come when he doesn't want to do something. And my heart broke. So I asked him specifically why he didn't want to go to school. And he told me that there was a "friend" who was hitting him. And I was not surprised. He's a boy and he's 4. But he was still crying. So I felt bad. I asked him if the teachers knew about it. And he told me they did. And then I asked what happened when they found out about it. And he told me the kid went into timeout. And I was pretty satisfied with that response. Because when Leo got into a fight at school that's what happened to him. He was in timeout and I was told of the incident. And at 4 I'm ok with that. I understand boys will be boys and as long as there are no acutal injuries I think those situations need to play out. I also reminded him how the little boy that he got into a fight with before probably was in the same situation with him mom saying how he didn't want to go to school. But we all have to do things that we don't want to do sometimes. So off to school we went.

And then at the school I went to the teacher and told her about what Leo had said about being hit last week. And would you like to know what her response to me was? That another little boy AND Leo had been put into timeout for hitting each other. And then there I was...looking like a fool. (or at least that's how I felt!) And so before I left I told Leo that we need to remember that if we don't like to be hit that others also don't like to be hit. So we need to keep our hands to ourselves. And that we need to tell the whole story and not just the part that we want to tell! I think he just had a case of the Moon-days and didn't want to go to school. But I guess we all had a learning experience.

No comments: