Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Every parents worst nightmare

So Saturday I spent a good day with my monkey and my mom. We went to Cowtown (a museum replicating life in the old days) because it was free museum day courtesy of the Smithsonian (I guess) and then we went to visit my great-grandma who is 95 and just got released from a hospital rehab center. So after all of our gallavanting around my mom took me home and we were just relaxing watching some college football. Little man took a nap and when he woke up around 6 he sounded terrible. He was wheezing and having trouble breathing. Now I am an asthma baby but I don't know what to look for when a kid is obviously having trouble breathing I just know what asthma feels like. And he is only 19 months old so it's not like he could tell me what was going on. So I call my mom and make her come over (by now it is like 8:30) and see if we should take him to the ER. Well she thinks we should at least call our on-call doctor so I do. 30 minutes later he calls back and tells me that he can't decide whether we need to take him in or not because he's not here (really dummy?). So we then decide to take him to the ER for a breathing treatment. We got in very quickly and there weren't any crazies waiting in the lobby and the monkey really enjoyed the breathing treatment machine because the lady let him push the button to release the medicine. So everything turned out ok, but it is very scary and frustrating because I don't want my kid to be sick like I was when I was little. I pretty much grew out of my asthma with a few episodes here and there but it is a pain in the butt to deal with. WHat with having to get shots and blood drawn and all the allergy tests because usually asthma comes with allergies. All a pain! But he will be fine and I guess that is what is important!

1 comment:

Cam said...

Oh no! Poor little guy! Hope he's feeling better and hopefully this was a one time thing.