Friday, July 9, 2010

Age and athletes

Last month I turned the ripe old age of 26. I am now on what I like to call the downward slope to 30 (thanks Camdin!). That is not what makes me feel old. And I also do not feel old because I have been married for almost 6 years and have a 3 year old. (That just makes me feel and look haggard sometimes!) What does make me feel old is the fact that a lot the athletes I watch on an everyday basis are younger than me. I grew up watching college basketball and idolizing the basketball players. Now I am up to 8 years older than some of these players. And I just read an article in the last Sporting News called the 25 under 25. These players had multi-million dollar salaries and some even had championship rings. Professional athletes are entering drafts and what-not at 19. That is still 7 years younger than me. When I was 19 I was engaged, working 2 jobs and going to school full-time. I didn’t get to spend my youth gallivanting the country on the dime of some large enterprise. I wish I could have but I didn’t have the skills (or the correct gender) to make that happen. Just something I was thinking about the other day!

3 comments:

CBC said...

haha..buy some night cream now, that's all I'm saying.

Heather said...

26 is not old! LOL!

I do know how ya feel though. I consider my age 41 and I am like where the heck did all the time go and why haven't I done more with my life.

I think motherhood is the best job one could have and if that was the only legacy I was leaving behind, I would be most happy. Unfortunately I can't even say that, I wasted my life away and did nothing.

You have everything that matters!

Kendra said...

I know 26 is not old! I just think it's crazy how young all the athletes are! And you are NOT wasting your life Heather! You are making a difference in a lot of others by blogging. That is your legacy! :)