Sunday, May 2, 2010

Final Friday

I went to Final Friday a couple of nights ago with two of my friends. Final Friday is an art crawl in downtown Wichita (the city by where I live) where there are many different shops that hold little art shows for local artists. I had only been to one other Final Friday and it was about a year and a half ago. It was a lot of fun when I went but I just have never made time to go on a monthly basis. So when I decided to try to get a few friends together for the evening I thought Final Friday was a good idea. So we made our trek to downtown and started our little crawl. The first exhibit we went to was a local high school exhibit. They had all different kinds of pieces from watercolor to oil paint to really cool ones that used felt and paper mache. They were all extremely talented artists to say the least! But it made me think about when I was in high school there was no way I could have made pieces like that. We headed to another exhibit and they had a bunch of pieces that were painted on canvases. They were really good too but these ones were for sale so you got to see what “real art” would cost you. And it was in the tune of $300 a piece. Yikes! Finally we hit up Commerce Street, which is the street that has the “hip and edgy” galleries were. Those exhibits were crazy. One was all about male genitalia. I don’t know if it’s just because we’re more accustomed to seeing women’s body parts and not seeing men’s but I felt extremely uncomfortable. Maybe I’m just a prude. Either way, I was very glad to be leaving those exhibits! Again, those were for sale and they were even more! I saw one upwards of $800! Woowee. I need to become an artist! I had a great night and even though some of the art was a little weird I had the best quote of the night to sum up the awkwardness…I think I’m going to trademark it! Here it is: You can’t get mad when you use someone else’s imagination for your entertainment! Maybe that floats their boat, so just because it doesn’t yours doesn’t mean it’s not art!

(Day 17 of challenge: A piece of artwork. Just because I’m not showing you I’m telling you about it! J)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Sounds like a great way to spend time with friends. I really need to become an artist too! Those prices are crazy!

I would have gotten uncomfortable too.