Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Behavior Progress

So a few days ago I asked for help regarding behavior in toddlers. I also went to the library and picked up a few books to help along the way and read a TON of articles online. So many articles were about baby-ing the kids and not doing this or that but a book I picked up was called ScreamFree Parenting. I haven't read much in it but it is talking about stepping away from the situation and focusing on yourself as a parent as opposed to baby-ing the kids. I like that approach so hopefully the book will be helpful insight. And something that I saw from an online article was to make a list of the rules or things that your child shouldn't be doing and if they break a rule then you take them over to the list so they can see the infraction. So I promptly made a list and Leo decided to put it on the fridge. It is a list of 13 rules that he knows and knows he should follow. We have been working on improving his behavior and he does not like it when I tell him we have to go look at the list. And of course he's a little smart aleck sometimes because if I tell him he shouldn't be doing something he asks me if it's on the list. We are leaving to go out of town today and will be gone through Monday and we are taking our list with us. Hopefully this list will make it through the trip and he will stay well-behaved!

One thing he has done that has proven my little baby is growing up is he has gone 3 nights in a row without going to the bathroom in his underwear. We had been keeping him in pull-ups overnight because one time when we tried just underwear it definitely backfired. But he hadn't been going overnight either so when our pack of pull-ups ran out we decided to try again. So three nights later we are accident free through the night! Big boy!

4 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Good for you! Sprite is still varying on the nights of no wetting the bed, I hate to say we still rely on the pull ups since neither John nor I can muster the strength to get up in the middle of the night right now. Definitely slacking on our part.

Heather said...

I can't believe I forgot to come back and comment again. I did ask about it and the way she handled it was to take him in the room and walk out. If he left the room before she said he could (and that was only after the crying stopped) he would get a spanking. He is allowed out when he says yes to "are you ready to talk". I has worked for her, I have witnessed it. Don't know if that helps or not.

I like the list, even though he has found a loop hole!

Yeah for clean britches!!

Lucy said...

I raised 5 kids but I would never try to give advice. Time outs never worked for me very well, however a serious infraction resulted in a spanking on the rear with my hand. I still think every child has his own time when he is through wetting the bed I also did babysitting and I had 5 families that did not believe in spanking. They were not easy to try to teach right from wrong. But they loved comming and I must admit with 7 under the age of 3 I was ready for them to go home.

Pseudo said...

wait until the teenage years. Ack. Just finishing two of those.